Thursday, August 18, 2005

Why another blog?


The idea has been on my mind for long to just write something about all the movies i have seen. But somehow within 2 minutes of starting this blog i have realised that its an amazingly boring exercise and requires lots of patience to write about things, I mean its not like chatting with your friend over the phone, where you can get his/her immediate response, its like write something and then mail all your loyal friends that i have created this blog and it will be great if you guys can spare time to read my blog and what not.
I think its a bit too much of an effort for a lazy guy like me.

Still i will at least unwillingly try to write something; with the slightest hope that atleast the most ardent of my friends will read the opening post. And that belief is based on the flimsy assumption that no matter what anyone of us does from desigining chips to copying/pasting code we watch movies and we like them

Yeah so what was this blog about? Movies yeah. In the last 14 months and 18 days of my life(out of which i have been lucky enough to spend 29 days in India) i have realised that living alone and that too away from your motherland has its own challenges. And alone is the keyword here, of course there will be people around you some friendly and some not so friendly but more often than not, one finds oneself lonely. So what does one do of course turn to alcohol or drugs.

However being the miser i am i decided to choose the cheaper option of books and movies. Books again though last long and leave a lasting impression still have limited appeal to me and thats because, though i know a few good writers, who have written a few good books i am not too much of a literature guy.

Movies is different story altogether, I am product of the Cable era. When i was 14, i still remember 2 guys on a cranky bicycle came to my house with a roll of wire and changed my world forever. They were the cable guys!! and they bought movies to my life in a big way.

A small digression here I mean movies were always there Thursdays and Sundays on DD and some late night stuff too, you know guys:). And the 3 letter gadget VCR which bought some of the best movies of Mithun,Govinda and Anil Kapoor alongside the Kimi Katkars and the Mandakanis of the worlds right into our homes. And lastly the yearly event of visiting the movie theatre with the entire family. But it was cable who got movies round the clock for me. 3 channels each showing 3 movies a day. That was like a heaven for me, 9 movies in a day and the late-night ones to add to it:)


It all started then and has still not ended. I have moved over from amazingly varied genres to strikingly different styles of acting. I have seen Dharamendra shout "Kutte main tera khoon pee jaoonga" and i have seen Pacino use the F word as punctuation. I have seen Yashraj and Dharma Productions weave candyfloss romances and i have seen Tarantino scare the hell out of me. I have watched the Hum-Tums of the world and i have seen the grim and hope intertwined in Shawshank Redemption. My love for movies keep growing stronger and stronger. And i have found that like a very good friend they have never let me down. Even in these bad times with some messy-crappy movies there is always a MunnaBhai which can lift your spirits.

So Cheers to Movies and Cheers to everyone who love movies. This blog is dedicated to them only. I will be writing about movies which i have already seen, which i keep seeing again and which i am going to see in the future

3 Comments:

Blogger Weird Guy said...

Great Start to a blog, Atleast you have found a topic to talk about. I am still thinking what I should write about.. so just keep on writing random things...

6:09 PM  
Blogger Murali said...

keep the posts coming. especially abt the night movies ;)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Bhavana said...

I must say perfect choice of words. Interesting topic 2 start with...Actually going through ur blog motivates me to write a blog myself. And now u need 2 promise me for reading my blog & posting good comments :)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home